Okay, I know a lot of you will be recoiling in horror at the thought of...gasp...french fried oysters as opposed to fresh oysters on the half shell. Somehow, I missed that boat. I really dislike the slimy texture of uncooked oysters. Yuck. However, I do enjoy hot, crusty fried oysters on their own or in a decadent sandwich.
French Fried Oysters
24 large oysters, shucked and picked over for any pieces of shell
2 tbsp lemon juice
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
flour, to coat
1 beaten egg
corn meal (lightly seasoned with salt and black pepper)
vegetable oil for frying
- Drain liquid from oysters and pat dry with paper towels
- Sprinkle with lemon juice, salt and black pepper
- Coat each oyster with flour, dip in beaten egg, then in cornmeal
- Place each coated oyster on a plate or tray and put in refrigerator for 45min to 1 hr to dry off.
- Just before serving, heat vegetable oil in deep fryer or deep pan to medium high heat and fry a few at a time until golden brown (about 1 1/2 - 2 min)turning constantly. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot, garnished with lemon wedges and tartar sauce.
I like these fried oysters in a plain hot dog bun slathered with homemade tartar sauce or you could get a little fancier and serve on a toasted kaiser roll with a thick slice of tomato.
Bonus!!!! Easy Homemade Tartar Sauce
2/3 cup of your favourite mayo
1 tsp grated onion
1 tsp chopped chives
1 tsp chopped parsley
2 drops hot sauce OR 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp chopped sweet pickle
1 tsp chopped capers
1 tsp very finely chopped celery
1/4 tsp mustard
1/8 tsp salt
Combine all ingredients until just mixed and chill (covered) in refrigerator until ready to use.