Here in Trinidad the weather is HOT!! It is great beach weather but the sudden thunderstorms with flash flooding have dampened my enthusiasm some for beach trips. Anyway...limes are in season(again) and a cool and refreshing lime mousse usually hits the spot after a great meal. It's the perfect dessert for entertaining. It's light,smooth and tangy-sweet...delicious! Best of all, super easy to make!
Refreshing Lime Mousse
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 2/3 cups water
1/3 cup cornstarch
4 eggs, separated
1 tsp good vanilla extract
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 tbsp grated lime zest for garnish
dash of aromatic bitters (optional)
- Put water in a medium saucepan and heat. Whisk in sugar, cornstarch and salt until mixture thickens.
- Lightly beat egg yolks in a bowl with the vanilla. Temper this mixture by adding a spoonful of the hot sugar mixture to the eggs while whisking, then add egg mixture slowly to the hot liquid in the saucepan whisking all the while. Replace saucepan over low heat and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Add the lime juice and evaporated milk. Leave mixture to cool.
- Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks and gently fold into the lime custard.
- Spoon into stemmed glasses and chill for 1-2 hours.
- Before serving, garnish with zest and a splash of bitters.
- Enjoy all the praise you get from family and friends!