I've heard people say that bread is the food of life. Wait, I got that wrong. It's actually "I am the bread of life". You Catholics out there know what I'm talking about. But I digress. Here is a bread recipe SO unbelievably EASY a child could do it. A child in fact did it- my 10 year old daughter and my 11 year old niece used this recipe and made delicious bread ALL BY THEMSELVES. I especially like that part, lol. I did take the bread out the oven though. No sense ruining a perfectly good day with a visit to the emergency room.
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1tbsp soft butter or margarine
1 pack dry yeast
1/2 to 3/4 cup lukewarm water
- Put flour in a mixing bowl. Add salt and sugar. Mix with a whisk
- Add entire pack of yeast to flour mixture and mix well. Add water, and stir mixture with a wooden spoon until it thickens and forms a ball. If mixture seems dry, add the remaining 1/4 cup water a bit at a time until the dough comes away from the sides of your bowl and is moist, not sticky.
- When it gets to hard to use the spoon wash your hands thoroughly and use them to knead the dough.
- Sprinkle some flour on a clean, flat work surface and place the dough on it. Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic. This takes about 5 minutes.
- Lightly brush the dough with vegetable oil. Replace in bowl, cover with a clean dishcloth and put in a warm place.
- When dough has doubled in size, punch down. Shape dough into a loaf. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place shaped dough on a lightly greased baking tray and bake for 25 minutes or until the loaf is golden brown. remove from oven and place loaf on a wire rack to cool.